Hello, I am Karen, an integrative counsellor, working from a person-centred perspective. This means I use different types of counselling theories in my work, depending on the issue(s) you wish to bring to counselling and most importantly what feels right for you. I am a warm and empathic person and will offer you the opportunity through counselling to be heard and respected, whatever you wish to discuss with me.
Counselling can help you:
- understand how you are feeling
- see things differently
- clarify and address problems
- manage uncertainty and change better
- think about new ideas and ways of being
- talk about things in the past which you find difficult to deal with now
- talk about your future and any changes you want to make
- I am registered member of the British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP).
- I have monthly clinical supervision, undertake ongoing continuing professional development and work within the Ethical Framework of BACP.
- I am fully insured through Towergate Insurance.
Qualification & Training
- Certificate in Counselling – University of the West of England (UWE)
- Diploma in Professional Studies (Counselling) – UWE
- TA 101
- Working with Relational Trauma
- Working with Shame
- Level 2 Adult Safeguarding / Level 2 Child Protection / Prevent Duty
- Level 1 and Level 2 Understanding Domestic Violence & Abuse
- MS awareness and Counselling people with MS
- I have been working in private practice for 6 years.
- I have 10 years’ experience of working in the NHS in a non counselling capacity, supporting patients, their carers and families with illness, disability or bereavement.
- I have worked in, set up and managed counselling services for unpaid family carers.
- I have been a member of the BACP Older Peoples Expert Reference Group and have experiencing of setting up and running counselling services for older people.
- I have experience of counselling in GP practices and in the charity / voluntary sector.
I have a wide range of experience of supporting people with:
- low mood, anxiety and depression
- relationship difficulties
- family problems
- loss, bereavement and grief
- guilt and shame
- managing change and uncertainty
- work problems
- Illness and its impact on you and other people
- life changes
- being a carer and your caring role coming to an end
- £45 for a 50-minute session.
- I offer a free initial 15-20 introductory phone call for anyone considering starting counselling.